Tuesday, July 2, 2013

SINGAPORE DAY 1: PinkDot And The Nightlife

So last weekend I went to Singapore which marked my travelling period in Asia. I went there alone, for 2 days and one night. Stayed in a hostel called Travellers @ SG. 

My mom had to go to Sultan Ismail Hospital for her cataract appointment so I agreed to go along with her. The brother-in law drove the car and asked him to drop me at Malaysia Immigration Complex near City Square Shopping Complex in Johor Bahru. The shopping center is connected to the Immigration Center. It was easy to pass Malaysia Immigration Center, nothing to declare. But it was quite a distance walking from the the shopping mall to where you're gonna take the bus. Just pay 1.00MYR, take the CW1 (CausewayLink) bus, the bus will bring you to the Singapore Immigration Complex. Crossing the bridge will take around 3 to 5 minutes depending on the traffic. 

The adrenaline rush started really early while finding my way in the Malaysia Immigration Complex. First timer. So I just look around and see what people were doing. So now, once you crossed the bridge, the bus will drop you at Singapore Immigration Complex. Don't forget to bring your bags with you. All the time. Okay, the first thing you need to do is to look for a white card. The white card available just before the gates where you get your passport stamped. Fill that in. I made a mistake. I didn't know I need the white card so I queued and the officer asked me to fill that in. A very polite Malay woman officer. Once that done, go downstairs and go to the right of the escalators, that's where you will get the same bus that drops you at the Singapore Immigration Complex just before you get your passport stamped. Get on that bus, you don't need to pay. This bus will go to MRT Kranji, the last stop. Make sure you have your roaming data on! I didn't so my credit was 0.00MYR by the time I reached Clarke Quay.

I reached Kranji MRT, and it was almost 4pm. I was absolutely clueless about Singapore train system. I did not do any research. Had to ask a lady if I was at the right train station. So because I had no plan on what to do in Singapore , and I was texting Marques while I was in the bus, I decided to buy ticket to MRT Lavender which is near to the hostel that I stayed in. While on the train, Marques called me and he said what I heard as "Khatib" so because Khatib is on the same line, I had alighted at that station. And once I was out of the station, a text came in and it was actually Clarke Quay. So I got on the train again. The train system map is available at every train station so don't worry of getting yourself lost in Singapore. It's a small country after all. 


By the second time you're using the train, you will know how to get around easily, the interchange etc.

So I disembarked at Clark Quay, I had no credit on my phone and the place was so pink.



So my MEN group to the rescue. Texted my friends to text Marques to let him know that I was there at Hong Lim Park. After 10 minutes waiting, I met Marques. We were both in pink as a support to the program. The event is called PinkDot Singapore. Google it out. It's LGBT related. And this is us.




It was an amazing event, with jets, helicopters etc. Singapore is going somewhere. And the people there "look well maintained" as quoted from a friend of mine. I have to agree. Quite an international crowd. I don't mind working in Singapore if I don't get a job where I'm studying :P





So we stayed at PinkDot for like 2 hours till 8pm and then I went to my hostel and Marques had to go to have dinner with his family.

Just outside Lavender MRT, you can find a lot of place to eat. So I went to my hostel first to check in and went out again. Decided to be a bit adventurous on the food, so I had this Ipoh Prawns Noodle (I forgot the name). Taste awful and tried to put my chopsticks skill to a test, failed miserably. And then went to the hostel again, chilling for a while, charged my phone and tried to plan where to go that night. So I met Marques at Clarke Quay again. It was near the RiverCruise. Amazing place. Had some drinks and then we went to Tantric, a bar located at Neil Road. The place was packed, we were there for a while and then me and Marques decided to go to Play. Taboo is located just opposite Tantric. Here's some pictures of the night out. Singapore is a twink central, if you're into skinny to toned pretty boys, this place is a heaven. Doesn't work for moi! Should have gone to Taboo. 






It's a fuckin sweat box!

Arrived at the hostel around 5am with an uneasy stomach!

(To be continued)